Mother’s Day Card
Here’s a pretty card to make for your mom. This way of rolling strips of paper and gluing them to make designs is called “quilling.” It is an art that goes back to the 16th century. Your mom will be thrilled with your quilled card!
Here’s what you need:
- Construction paper
Here’s what you do:
1. Make the card by folding a piece of construction paper in half two times.
2. Choose a color for the inside of a flower. Cut a thin strip of construction paper about six inches long and a little less than 1/4 inch wide. Roll this strip in a tight circle. (You can roll it around an open paper clip.) Glue the end of the strip down so that it all stays together.
3. Choose another color for the outside of the flower. Cut a thicker strip approximately 4 inches long and a little less than 1/2 inch wide. Cut fringes along the strip to make petals. Glue the beginning of this strip to the center of the flower you already made, then wrap it around and glue the end down. Fold back the fringes to make a flower.
4. For the stem, cut another thin strip of green paper approximately 4 inches long. Using the paperclip, roll half of the strip and leave the rest for the straight part of the stem.
5. Cut another piece of green paper the same size and roll this one around the paperclip too (only about half of the strip). With the remainder of the strip, fold the ends to make the shape of leaves. (See the photo.)
6. Make as many flowers, stems, and leaves as you want and then glue them onto your card. Write on the front with markers and include a note to your mom inside to tell her how much you love her!