February is a great month to look ahead:
Why not take this month before Lent begins to plan ahead how you will celebrate the Jubilee Year of the 100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima in your classroom or home.
2017 marks the 100th anniversary of the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal. In honor of this important centennial, Pope Francis has declared a Jubilee Year from the 27th of November 2016 till the 26th of November 2017.
On May 13th, 1917, Lucia, ten, Francisco, eight, and Jacinta, seven, chose to pasture their sheep in a hilly depression owned by Lucia's father and known as the Cova da Iria, or Cove of Irene. It was there, with one exception, that the Blessed Virgin under the title of Our Lady of the Rosary appeared on six occasions in 1917, and a seventh time in 1920 (to Lucia alone). At that moment the First World War raged in Europe, and in far off Moscow Lenin prepared the revolution that would overturn the Russian social order in November 1917 and eventually engulf almost half the peoples of the earth. It was in that context that the message of Fatima was given to the world: Our Lady of Fatima told the three shepherd children, "Continue to pray the Rosary every day to obtain the end of the war and peace for the world, for only she alone can save it."
The Jubilee Year began on November 27, 2016 and will end on November 26, 2017, and it provides some great opportunities to engage kids in Marian devotion, the Marian message about following Jesus, and the privilege given to kids to carry this message to the world!
Here’s some notes to help you in your planning:
- Information regarding the Jubilee and the indulgences granted during the Jubilee Year are in the article below. Make sure you find out how your diocese is celebrating the Jubilee to see where you can participate on a local level.
- How to pray the rosary and the prayers of the rosary are also in the article below
- A great book to read aloud to kids: Blesseds Jacinta and Francisco Marto: Shepherds of Fatima.
- 1000 Mary’s Crafts and Activities Pinterest Board
- Honor Mary Crafts and Ideas
- 31 Crafts for Mary
Some great Rosary books for kids:
And let’s not forget Valentine’s Day! Lesson planning ideas, crafts, and activites.